Halloween is well known for being a holiday with lots of candy. As parents, you may worry about your child’s teeth when so much candy is around. While you want your child to have fun, a few Halloween dental guidelines can also help you with maintaining good dental care at the same time.
Halloween Dental Guidelines
Mouthhealthy.com published some Halloween tips you might want to consider:
- Have good timing for eating candy. Eat candy with meals or shortly after a meal. The reason is that saliva, which gets produced by eating, helps counteract the acids produced by bacteria. Saliva also washes away food particles.
- Be selective about candy. Hard candy remains in your mouth for a while and for that reason it’s the worst in terms of tooth decay. Choose sugar-free hard candies and otherwise eat candies that are chewed or dissolve quickly. Avoid sticky candies like taffy or gummy bears because they tend to stick to your teeth and remain in your mouth a while also.
- Drink more water. When eating candy, drinking water can help wash away the debris. Drinking fluoridated water is best because it also helps prevent tooth decay.
- Eat a healthy diet. Nutritious food helps keep gums and teeth healthy. Avoid the temptation to load up on candy and skip meals.
- Avoid sugary beverages. Sodas, sports drinks and flavored waters increase the chances of developing tooth decay.
- Chew sugarless gum. Chewing sugarless gum and especially gum with the ADA seal helps your mouth produce saliva, which washes away food particles and neutralizes the acid that bacteria releases.
- Brush and floss between teeth. If ever there was a time that you should be sure to brush twice daily and floss, this is it.
Keep regular dental checkups. Your dentist can help you prevent dental problems or deal with them while they’re still easy to treat.
Contact Us if You Have Questions about Dental Care
At Hutto Hippo Family Dental, Dr. Baker can address your needs to keep your teeth and gums healthy.