Are Your Children’s Teeth Ready for the School Year?
Back-to-school dental checkups help you prevent problems before your kids get caught up in the whirlwind of the school year. Busy schedules sometimes lead to delays for dental visits. Get ahead of the game and avoid dental problems.
According to the Texas Department of State Health Services the most common chronic disease school age children have today is tooth decay. During a typical school year, U.S. children will miss more than 51 million school hours in a year due to dental healthcare.
Dental problems cause pain along with trouble eating and speaking. Through early detection and preventative measures you can avoid these types of problems.
What Do Back-to-School Dental Checkups Entail?
During a typical checkup, your dentist will determine the following:
- Dental health big picture. How is your child’s dental health? We check for cavities, gum condition and tooth alignment. Monitoring alignment early on includes examining the loss of baby teeth and the position of new emerging teeth.
- Teeth cleaning. Even the best tooth brusher can’t eliminate all the bacteria and plaque that forms on teeth. Regular cleanings are vital for children too.
- X-rays. Getting regular x-rays helps a dentist catch tooth decay between teeth before it can get out of hand. Your dentist can also check out the development of tooth roots.
- Sports kids and mouthguards. A mouthguard is a good idea for children involved in sports. Even if your child already has a mouthguard, a growing child’s mouth is ever changing. Permanent teeth come in and there is wear and tear on the guard. Make sure the mouthguard is still doing its job.
- If your child is cavity prone, a sealant could help prevent cavities. Putting sealants on molars helps protect them against tooth decay. A sealant can be made from plastic or other material. While it doesn’t eliminate the need for brushing and flossing, it’s an additional preventative measure.
When Was Your Child’s Last Checkup?
Get your child ready for school. Give us a call at Hutto Hippo Family Dental and make an appointment for a back-to-school dental checkup. We are glad to answer your questions. Our number is (512) 806-7740.