Home Remedies for Aching Gums
Aching gums can ruin your weekend if you can’t get to the dentist for help. However, there are home remedies that may help.
What Home Remedies Help Relieve the Pain of Aching Gums?
MedicalNewsToday recommends the following home remedies to relieve gum pain.
- Apply hot/cold compresses. Compresses can alleviate the swelling. Take a washcloth and dip it in hot water, then wring out the water and press it against the hurting area. For a cold compress you can wrap an ice pack in a cloth.
- Rinse with salt water. Rinsing with salt water will help kill bacteria causing a gum infection and this also reduces swelling. A quarter teaspoon of salt to a glass of warm water is the proper ratio to use.
- Apply teabags.The tannins in green tea, hibiscus and black teas can kill bacteria that are causing infection and lessen inflammation. Ginger and chamomile teas also do this. Steep the tea bag in boiled water. Allow it to cool slightly and apply it against the aching gum area. Leave it there for about 5 minutes.
- Use an herbal paste. You can mix powdered clove or turmeric with a little bit of warm water to create a paste. Apply the paste to the gum area and leave it there for a few minutes and then wash it off.
- Spray essential oils. Essential oils like clove, oregano and peppermint can reduce inflammation and also will increase circulation. Reducing swelling and increasing circulation can help get rid of the pain. Create a spray using 4 or 5 drops of the oil mixed with one ounce of water. Put it in a spray bottle and spray it onto the gum.
- Rub oral gels on the gum.Orajel and Anbesol are over-the-counter gels that contain benzocaine. These gels will numb the gums.
- Take pain medication.You can take over-the-counter pain medications such as Tylenol or Advil to reduce the pain and discomfort of aching gums.
Do You Have Concerns about Your Gums?
Make an appointment with one of our dentists a Hutto Hippo Family Dental. We can find out the cause of your pain and provide effective treatment.