After you go through wisdom tooth extraction, your dentist typically recommends a liquid and soft food diet so you don’t experience pain and can give your gums a chance to heal. It’s not uncommon to experience some swelling and discomfort afterwards.
Soft Food Tips After Wisdom Tooth Extraction
Medical News Today suggests some soft foods and liquids that will help you stay nourished while on this type of diet:
- Milkshakes. Stay away from sugar though and make the shakes yourself by using milk, ice and fruit in a blender.
- Pureed seedless fruit. Strawberries and raspberries are fruits that have seeds, so avoid them. You don’t want seed residue getting into the area of your mouth where you had surgery. Bananas, mangoes, apples and peaches are good examples of seedless fruits that puree well in a blender or food processor.
- Smoothies. Just add yoghurt and peanut butter to the fruit and you’ll have a smoothie.
- Broth is high in nutrition and you can mash up the vegetables.
- Applesauce. Many babies love applesauce and you may rediscover you still do too.
- Avocado. Avocado is smooth, creamy and full of vitamins.
- Ice cream. People of all ages love ice cream but don’t overdo it because ice cream is full of sugar and high in calories.
- Mashed banana. You can eat frozen mashed bananas, and it’s a great alternative for ice cream.
- Mashed beans. You can cook and mash kidney beans, black beans or butter beans and have a good source of protein.
- Pureed or mashed vegetables. You can cook carrots, broccoli, parsnips or potatoes and mash them.
- Scrambled eggs. Eggs are a perfect protein and scrambled eggs don’t require chewing.
- Soft cheeses. Soft cheeses are a good protein sources and are also effective in getting rid bacteria in the mouth.
- Yogurt. Yogurt goes down easily and also contains a natural probiotic.
The article recommends avoiding store bought foods if possible. It’s also a good idea to stock your ingredients before the wisdom tooth extraction and prepare a few foods ahead of time.
Do You Have questions About Procedures or Your Dental Care?
Discuss your dental concerns at Hutto Hippo Family Dental with our highly trained dentists.