Dentists Can Help You with Jaw Problems
Jaw problems may involve pain in or near your jaw joint. When your jaw gets stuck or a clicking or popping occurs, it can also create discomfort.
The Journal of the American Dental Association (JADA) explains that these disorders involve the jaw joint, called the temporomandibular (TEM-puh-roh-man-DIB-yoo-ler)joint. TMDs are the name for disorders related to the temporomandibular joint.
What Are Jaw Problem Symptoms?
There are other symptoms you may experience related to a TMD and they include:
- Pain in or near the ear
- Pain when chewing
- Tender jaw muscles
- Painful clicking or popping when you open or close your jaw
- Trouble opening or closing your mouth
- Discomfort when opening your mouth wide
- Headaches, neck or facial pain
Sometimes people with TMDs also develop chronic symptoms such as a runny nose, fatigue or dizziness. Anxiety and depression are other symptoms often associated with TMDs.
Sometimes symptoms are temporary. They come and go, and may even go away without treatment.
What Can You Do to Help Lessen TMD?
Because identifying the cause of a TMD can be challenging, treatment frequently gears toward relieving the symptoms. Things you can do that might help include:
- Eating softer foods
- Reducing wide jaw movement
- Applying warm, moist compresses
- Restraining from chewing gum or biting down on hard foods
Treatments that Dentists Might Recommend
If symptoms still persist, dentists sometimes recommend:
- Jaw muscle exercises
- Medications such as muscle relaxants, pain medicine, anti-inflammatory meds or anti-anxiety drugs
- A bite plate or night guard for preventing grinding or clenching during sleep
Do You Need Help with Dental Care?
Our dentists at Hutto Hippo Family Dental are glad to answer your questions and help you with dental care.