Restoring Natural Color to Your Teeth
Tooth discoloration occurs for various reasons. And when it does, teeth don’t look as bright as they used to. They may darken in color, turn more of a yellow shade or develop light and dark spots on the tooth. The good news is we can help you restore your teeth to a cleaner and brighter natural color.
What Causes Tooth Discoloration?
The following are some common causes:
- Certain drinks or foods. Beverages like coffee, tea, colas and wine can stain your teeth. Certain fruits and vegetables, such as apples and potatoes can also stain teeth.
- Tobacco products. Cigarettes and chewing tobacco can make teeth appear more brown or dark.
- Disease and medical treatments. Some diseases affect tooth enamel and cause discoloration. Radiation and chemotherapy to treat the head and neck may also lead to discoloration.
- For children younger than eight years old, whose teeth are still developing, there are two antibiotics that can stain teeth, tetracycline and doxycycline. Some mouth rinses and washes contain chlorhexidine and cetylpyridinium chloride, which discolor teeth. Drugs for high blood pressure, antipsychotic drugs and antihistamines also stain some people’s teeth.
- Genetic differences. Thicker and naturally brighter enamel are body traits some people have, and the opposite is also true.
- Excessive fluoride in the environment, water or excessive use of fluoride products can also discolor teeth. Most noticeably, fluoride leads to .white spots.
- Tooth trauma. A tooth injury can disturb enamel formation in both children and adults. The traumatized area darkens to gray or black.
Ways that you can whiten your teeth or improve the coloring include:
- Brushing and flossing
- Avoiding foods that stain your teeth
- Using whitening agents your dentist provides
- Buying over-the-counter whitening agents
- Receiving dental office whitening treatments
- Having bonding treatment to change the color or shape of your teeth
- Having your dentist apply veneers, which cover the front of your tooth and change the color or shape