Is it too late for adults to get braces? The answer is no. In fact you’d be surprised how many adults wear braces.
According to the Wall Street Journal, the number of adults getting braces is up by 40% since 1996.
When the gums and bone are healthy and stable, an adult of any age can get braces. Harold Walter (named in the WSJ) had his braces removed and he was 87 years old. He got braces to save a tooth that was protruding.
Other Reasons to Get Braces
Studies show that people today tend to have crooked teeth more frequently than people who lived centuries ago. Theories as to why suggest diet, smaller jaw sizes because of less chewing and less crowded teeth years ago because they got worn down through chewing.
Aside from correcting spaces between teeth or crowded teeth, sometimes dentists require braces before doing restorations or implants so the dental work will be more effective.
Some adults who get braces also had them as children. However, teeth sometimes shift when you don’t continue to wear a retainer at night.
Famous People with Braces
Elle magazine featured an article about celebrities that wore braces. Some of them were:
- Miley Cyrus. Miley wore lingual braces behind her teeth and then got porcelain veneers after her teeth were properly aligned.
- Prince Harry. As a teenager Prince Harry wore braces but used a permanent retainer as support afterward for 10 years.
- Faye Dunaway. This Academy Award-winning actress got braces at the age of 61 and had porcelain veneers put on after the braces came off.
- Tom Cruise. At age 40, Tom Cruise wore mostly invisible braces with ceramic brackets to straighten his teeth.
- Faith Hill. When seen on the red carpet at the Grammy Awards, Faith Hill was wearing braces at age 45.
You Too Can Have the Celebrity Smile
Dr. Baker is offering a special on December braces for $3,000. The price also includes retainers and all your dental visits.